There are several routes into dance teaching, depending on the sector in which you intend to work. These are outlined below.

Teaching in the Private Sector
Teachers working in the private sector, based in places like leisure centres, village halls or in private premises, are usually self-employed. Typically, they hold qualifications from one or more Awarding Organisations, allowing them to enter candidates for examinations.

Training courses which lead to the teaching qualifications offered by Awarding Organisations are available. These schemes are only appropriate for teaching in the private sector. Some vocational schools, which may be accredited by CDET, also run teacher training courses. For further information, please contact the relevant Awarding Organisation or school.

Schools and teachers can apply to be listed on CDET's online national database if they fulfil the requirements of the Recognised Awards scheme.

Teaching in the State Sector
Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) is the accreditation that enables a teacher to work in state-maintained and special schools in England and Wales, and is a mandatory requirement.

For further information on QTS see the Department for Education (DfE) website

Teaching in the Further Education and Skills Sector
Legislation for teaching in the Further Education and Skills Sector has recently changed.

For further information see the Learning and Skills Improvement Service website.

Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly CRB)
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children. It replaces the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).

For further information see website.

For information about the Disclosure Service offered by the People Dancing see their website.